Re: HAproxy and interface bonding

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:03:49 +0200

Hi Matthieu,

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:58:40AM +0200, Matthieu Huguet wrote:
> ???Hi,
>
> Do you have any experience/feedback with haproxy and interface bonding ?

yes

> Is there performance issues ? Does it add a lot of system load ?

none I have noticed as of now. The data is not copied inside the bonding driver, it's just "assigned" an interface, so that is very fast with a very low overhead.

> I want to try it on a linux box(2.6.24) with 2 x 1Gbps interfaces.

in active-backup mode or in load-balancing ? If you want to use LB, be careful about the choice of algorithms, and avoid round-robin as much as you can, as it de-sequences packets. This can increase memory and CPU usage on the receiver. However, XOR and ALB are generally fine. You really need to experiment, though.