Re: syslogd no server available messages

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:47:52 +0200

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 09:27:32AM +0100, asim s wrote:

> Hey all
>
> Is there anyway to stop the messages "Proxy <name> has no server available".
> Because we restart applications quite often we always get these messages on command line.

If you get them on the command line, it is a problem with the syslogd configuration which emits alert messages to all consoles for all facilities. You should only send system-related alerts to consoles (at most).

> They can get a bit irritating after a while

I certainly can understand :-)

> Whats the best way to remove them?

If for any reason you cannot fix the syslogd config, it is still possible to limit the level of syslog messages emitted, by tweaking the logging code a bit. I know a few guys who used to do this. I've got the request to be able to assign an upper bound to the criticity of emitted messages, but to be honnest, it has remained extremely low on the feature list, considering that if your load balancer cannot reach any server anymore, it does not do its job at all, period.

If you (or someone else) come up with a clean patch and the related doc update, I have no problem merging this.