Strange behavior when limiting backend connections to 1, and restarting backends.

From: Brian Gupta <brian.gupta#gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 00:38:50 -0400

Basically I have all backends limited to a single connection:

example:
 server mongrelNN8000 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8001 maxconn 1 check inter 60s rise 1

The strange behaviour I am seeing is on the stats page. I am seeing max connections listing a number higher than one, and sometimes current connections higher than one. (II've seen as high as 30.)

I do not have server affinity configured. These are my main options that I have set:

       option httpclose
       balance roundrobin
       option abortonclose

So it *SEEMS* that when there is an active connection to a backend node and that backend service is restarted, haproxy increments the connection count. I suspect this is unexpected behavior. I also suspect it is just an issue with stats reporting, vs with the actual limit not doing it's thing.

Cheers,
Brian

--
- Brian Gupta