Re: [BUG] HAproxy 1.3.15.2 / Solaris {9|10}- Hot reconfiguration

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 06:26:00 +0200

Hi Brian,

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 09:35:59PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> There is a bug in the Ubuntu Hardy Heron startup script for haproxy.
> SInce Ubuntu changed from bash to dash for /bin/sh in Hardy, the
> bashisms in the script broke for the restart method. IE: $(<$PIDFILE)
>
> -Brian
>
> P.S. - I know this is most likely unrelated, but it reminded me of the
> issue, and I wanted to report it..

Thanks for the report. I've searched "ubuntu haproxy package" on google and it points to a page indicating that they derived the package from Arnaud's work for Debian. They provide a link to file a bug. In my opinion, you should use it, because if they take packages from one distro and change their default shell without testing for regressions, it's expected that a lot of scripts will break in many packages. I still fail to understand their reasoning on this subject :-/