Re: Sky is the limit with HAProxy?

From: Jeffrey 'jf' Lim <jfs.world#gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:04:17 +0800

(btw, Marcus, I'm assuming u wanted that email to be private, so I'm replying privately here...)

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Marcus Herou <marcus.herou#tailsweep.com> wrote:
> Hi. Thanks that you took the time to answer.
>
> Dirty Harry is my second name :)

heh :) ok

> Jokes aside, tweaking and tuning is what I like and performance is my high.
> I do not believe in silver bullets. I used to work for a huge company as a
> consultant and even though how much money they poured into the arch it never
> performed since they always needed everything to solve everything. For
> instance having Apache load all modules possible and turn on all options,
> having all java webapps in one BIG container etc. Stupid and waste of money
> and resources and in the end user experience.

my eyes widened, looking at this.

> The requirements of our load balancing is quite simple since the nature of
> our architecure is as well. Basically all dynamic requests (which needs LB)
> should go to script.tailsweep.com and static ones to media.tailsweep.com and
> soon to come static.tailsweep.com.
>
> I will test haproxy on Ubuntu Hardy 64bit, 8GB, quad-core 2.4MHZ, RAID-1and
> apply a sysctl.conf which I normally use on our webservers. Is Linux bytw OK
> for the job ? Know some people do not like the schedulers in Linux.
> Want to have a look at the sysctl.conf ?

Linux is definitely ok. And your system is fine as well. Sure about taking a look at your sysctl.conf.

> I think I used 1.3.XX (perhaps .12 since it ships with Ubuntu these days).
> The webapp only had about 20 reqs/sec so it worked just perfectly.

well!! most definitely! :)

> The main reason why I look at HAProxy is because my friends and some former
> colleagues recommends the product.

and with reason, I think... Among all opensource ones, this is really THE accomplished one. Add to that the fact that Willy focuses a lot on the queue logic - which is essential if you're talking about throttling and managing the number of connections that you want to establish to different backends... HTTP handling is not all there yet (i'm working on various custom patches even as we speak - only my 'connslots' patch has been released [and accepted by Willy] publicly so far) - but it's fair for basic ("basic" being relative!!!) needs.

-jf

--
In the meantime, here is your PSA:
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not help."