Re: Sky is the limit with HAProxy?

From: Christian Wiese <morfoh#opensde.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:36:14 +0200

Hi Marcus,

just my 2 cents regarding your hardware. I think that it will be more than perfectly ok.
At work we built a haproxy based failover-loadbalancing solution for a customer, using Linux running on an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU 2.4GHz, with 2GB of RAM. Currently this haproxy handles traffic between 500-600 MBit/s at peak times.
You might have seen Willy's report while testing 10G NICs (http://haproxy.1wt.eu/10g.html), which shows quite well, that the overall performance depends on quite some things, and hardware has to be wisely choosen and you should definetly do some tests to find a reasonable setup for your use case.
Definitely you have to get your hands a bit dirty while tweaking kernel settings via sysctl, and special care has to be taken if you have netfilter's conntrack stuff enabled, because you can easily run out of space of the conntrack table if you are using the default settings. (At least it happened to me, but sysctl is your friend ;)

I have to admit that I became I quite big fan of haproxy, and want to take the opportunity to thank Willy and all other people working on improving haproxy ;)

Cheers,
Christian