Re: HA Proxy as Amazon S3 Content Switch

From: Nate Carlson <haproxy#natecarlson.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 15:07:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, John Singleton wrote:
> It is, in fact. I just tried it on the frontend as well, but no luck.
> The only notable weirdness is that when I get an error back, the error
> says "no such bucket" and then indicates the hostname as the bucket I
> was trying to access---which is not the case. So for example, if I try
> to access foo.com/content-cache/web/images/foo.gif, it says "No Such
> Bucket: foo.com" when in fact I am trying to access the bucket
> content-cache. So something is clearly getting mangled.
>
> I should note that I also tried this exact same setup with another CDN
> service, CacheFly.net (very fast, global, pay as you go CDN) and it
> doesn't work either. In the CacheFly setup, I structured the directories
> so that I didn't need to rewrite the URLs---so clearly rewriting the URL
> isn't the problem here, but rather some general problem that prohibits
> it from working with CDN setups. Doing it with a web server on the
> backend (apache, lighttpd) works flawlessly.

Have you tried doing a tcpdump on the haproxy machine, to figure out what you are actually sending to S3? That's usually how I go about debugging these type of issues.

Out of curiousity - doesn't putting haproxy in front of S3 kind of kill the CDN-ness of S3? IE - you're funneling all your traffic to S3 (which is global) via a single point? Or are you trying to return a redirect to S3 or something?

-Nate Received on 2008/09/28 22:07