[ANNOUNCE] haproxy-1.3.15.5 and 1.3.14.9

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:46:45 +0200

Hi All !

you've been a few ones to report that you would occasionally notice that some old processes remained alive after a soft restart.

Thanks to complete traces provided by Manuel Soto and a reproducable case, I could track down the problem to something a bit nasty. When an instance is temporarily disabled using the "disabled" keyword, its ports are still bound, but disabled frontends are never stopped, so the open ports are never released during a soft stop. And since haproxy waits for the last listener to close before exiting, it explains why the old process remains there.

The fact that some of you don't always observe the problem is most likely due to the fact that you use the "disabled" keyword once in a while during maintenance operations.

While fixing this issue, I noticed that the soft-stop code also tried to stop backends, then complained it could not. This could have resulted in non-completely stopped processes too, depending where the error occurred. This has been fixed too.

Last, when randomly trying to build invalid configurations to trigger the problem, I discovered that several ACL-related keywords were not forbidden in the defaults sections, but that the structure describing these sections did not have their ACL list heads initialized. The net result is a beautiful segfault in the config parser if you use "acl", "use_backend" or "block" there. This has been fixed too.

I recommend that 1.3.14 and 1.3.15 users update to this version since it fixes annoying problems with very minor risks of regression.

A month ago I said I hoped to finish 1.3.16 soon, and I'm striving to find time to work on it. I have not advanced one single minute since then :-( I'll probably take some vacation next month to finish this work. I'm sorry for the delay it causes to people waiting for some of the features in it.

As usual, you can find updates here :

   http://haproxy.1wt.eu/download/1.3/src/    http://haproxy.1wt.eu/download/1.3/bin/