web server minconn and maxconn question

From: haproxy <jwhardeman#gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:34:42 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can explain something to me. Here is my haproxy.conf section for the web servers:

global

       maxconn 32000
       ulimit-n 65536
       uid     0
       gid     0
       daemon
       stats socket /tmp/haproxystats
       nbproc  2
       pidfile /var/run/haproxy-private.pid
listen mnnweb_proxy
       maxconn 32000
       bind    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80
       mode http
       cookie SERVERID insert nocache indirect
       balance roundrobin
       server web1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 cookie webserver01 weight 20
minconn 20 maxconn 75 check inter 5000 fall 3 rise 1
       server web2 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 cookie webserver02 weight 20
minconn 20 maxconn 75 check inter 5000 fall 3 rise 1
       server web3 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 cookie webserver03 weight 20
minconn 20 maxconn 75 check inter 5000 fall 3 rise 1
       server web4 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 cookie webserver04 weight 20
minconn 20 maxconn 75 check inter 5000 fall 3 rise 1
       clitimeout 150000
       srvtimeout 30000
       contimeout 10000
       option abortonclose
       option httpclose
       retries 3
       option redispatch

When I am running a siege blast of 600 concurrent users against the haproxy server, I am getting a few connection errors, but the main question I have is why is haproxy limiting the MAX sessions to all of the web servers to only 75 when I have minconn set, but when I take the minconn 20 out, it does not limit the MAX sessions to the grouping of servers.

This is very confusing to me, because according to what I have read these settings should be per web server. If someone could help explain what I might be doing wrong would be great. We have read great reviews and results about haproxy and want to use this product.

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely

Joseph Received on 2008/10/28 18:34