Re: VIPs with haproxy

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:47:58 +0100

Hi Joseph,

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:29:11PM -0400, Joseph Hardeman wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have noticed something strange, when I am using a VIP interface,
> haproxy appears to not to distribute the load between the web servers
> behind it evenly. When I hit the physical IP on that port, it doesn't
> have a problem. I am using the latest release of haproxy 1.3.15.5.

Rather strange, especially because the destination address is never used in the load balancing decision.

> Has anyone had any experience with getting around this problem? We are
> looking at a VIP to handle heartbeat failover for haproxy.

What algo do you use for the load-balancing ? I assume round robin. Is it possible that the application detects a different Host: value and behaves differently ? Example: could it simply send an absolute redirection to the client which will then directly connect to the server ?

Willy Received on 2008/10/29 19:47