Re: High-volume HAProxy deployment tips?

From: Jeffrey 'jf' Lim <jfs.world#gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:14:19 +0800

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:48 AM, Daniel Gentleman <danielg#chegg.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been using HAProxy in a production environment for some time and am
> generally pleased with the results. However, I'd like to get some feedback
> from other users and developers on the best way to tune this for our needs.
> Basically:
>
> 1. We have two active clusters. One serves LAMP content with Apache and the
> other serves static content (images, thumbnails, etc.) using lighttpd. Is
> there any concern in running multiple HAProxy instances on the same server?
> We are doing so now but last night's load test produced mixed results
> regarding content from the static server.

If u run multiple haproxys, u're going to be introducing more variables into the mix - specifically, the underlying OS SMP specifics. If you run a single haproxy, u get the benefit of knowing that the code within is already highly tuned for load balancing already - you're in a very well defined (and tested) "box", so to speak (provided you dont have a lot of other stuff running on the same server). So the question is, which do you think is better?

-jf Received on 2008/12/18 05:14