Re: x-client with SMTP

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:28:17 +0100

Hi Eric,

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:16:27PM -0800, Eric Schwab wrote:
> We would like to use x-client with the smtp protocol with haproxy.
>
> I know that the equivalent is possible with HTTP in haproxy, but is this
> possible with SMTP? If not, does anybody have an idea as to how complex
> of an undertaking this might be to add to haproxy?
>
> (For an example of X-client with SMTP, see:
> http://www.postfix.org/XCLIENT_README.html )

In 1.3.15, it will not be easy because HTTP is implemented as a particular state of TCP. When 1.3.16 is released, it will be easier because HTTP really relies on TCP there, so it will be easier to implement basic SMTP support.

I'll soon have some spare time to try to complete existing code. The current snapshot is already working fine on small sites, which makes me confident we should not encounter too many issues.