Reducing I/O load of logging

From: James Brady <james.colin.brady#gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:14:26 +0000

The machine we run HAProxy on is approaching its limits in terms of disk I/O due to our debug-level logging.
The CPU is barely used, memory is no problem at all - the bottleneck will soon be the rate at which we can log to disk. Because the machine is more than adequate in all other areas, we'd really like to reduce the I/O load of logging.

We are using the debug log output to tell us the response time and status code for various URLs - this is an essential task we can't do without.

Is there any way to get this information without logging and post-processing every request? Can HAProxy dump out averaged statistics like this? Can we somehow reduce the I/O load by just logging the exact fields we're interested in?

Many thanks!
James Received on 2009/02/11 18:14