Re: Reducing I/O load of logging

From: Michael Fortson <mfortson#gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:38:26 -0800

Hi John,

Can you explain what you mean by making sure there's a dash in the name? Is this for something like syslog via /var/log/messages?

We've had some major issues when logrotate kicks in, knocking haproxy offline (it reports most of the back-end servers as down and starts throwing 503s). It's a busy site with 80 servers configured in the backend. Reducing logrotate to 3 hour intervals shortened the downtimes but it still happened. It does the same thing if I try to grep the log.

I've had to turn off logrotate for now...