A "different kind of rate limiting"

From: Will Buckner <will#chegg.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 23:18:06 -0700

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a solution to a problem I'm having.... This might be a unique use case, but the "why" is a bit complicated so I'll just leave that out of the picture for now.

I would like to make a maximum of 50 requests per second to my backend (or, optionally, one request per second per each of the 50 backend servers). This can't be accomplished with normal session rate limiting because of a catch: I don't want HAProxy to reject the request. Is there any way to have HAproxy accept and queue the requests, but throttle the backend requests to 50/sec or 1/server/sec? The goal is to make efficient use of 50 requests per second. If not, can anyone think of any creative ways to accomplish this? Maybe via PF/IPFW? Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Will Received on 2009/04/05 08:18