TCP traffic multiplexing as balance algorithm?

From: Maik Broemme <mbroemme#plusserver.de>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 01:57:47 +0200

Hi,

I have a small question. Did someone know if it is possible to do simple traffic multiplexing with HAProxy? Maybe I am missing it somehow, but want to ask on the list before creating a patch for it.

Just to answer the real-world scenario question. TCP multiplexing can be very useful for debugging backend servers or doing a simple logging and passive traffic dumping.

There are two major ideas of implementing it:

Well active means that request is going to destination and response back to client and passive means that only request is going to the destination. In configuration it could look like:

	listen	smtp-filter	127.0.0.1:25
		mode		tcp
		balance		multiplex
		server		smtp1 10.0.0.5:25
		server		smtp2 10.0.0.6:25

The active / active would be very hard to implement, tcp stream synchronisation would be a pain and I think no one will really need this, but active / passive is a very useful feature.

In my environment it is often so, that developers need access to real traffic data to debug (in the example above) their developed smtp software. Is anyone else missing such functionality? :)

--Maik Received on 2009/05/12 01:57