Re: TCP traffic multiplexing as balance algorithm?

From: Maik Broemme <mbroemme#plusserver.de>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 10:40:27 +0200

Hi,

Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu> wrote:
> Hi Maik,
>
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 01:57:47AM +0200, Maik Broemme wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a small question. Did someone know if it is possible to do simple
> > traffic multiplexing with HAProxy? Maybe I am missing it somehow, but
> > want to ask on the list before creating a patch for it.
>
> what do you call "traffic multiplexing" ? From your description below, I
> failed to understand what it consists in.

Multiplex means traffic duplication. If you have multiple server configuration options in one listen group, the incoming traffic is sent to all servers.

> > Just to answer the real-world scenario question. TCP multiplexing can be
> > very useful for debugging backend servers or doing a simple logging and
> > passive traffic dumping.
> >
> > There are two major ideas of implementing it:
> >
> > - 1:N (Active / Passive)
> > - 1:N (Active / Active)
> >
> > Well active means that request is going to destination and response back
> > to client and passive means that only request is going to the destination.
> > In configuration it could look like:
> >
> > listen smtp-filter 127.0.0.1:25
> > mode tcp
> > balance multiplex
> > server smtp1 10.0.0.5:25
> > server smtp2 10.0.0.6:25
> >
> > The active / active would be very hard to implement, tcp stream
> > synchronisation would be a pain and I think no one will really need
> > this, but active / passive is a very useful feature.
> >
> > In my environment it is often so, that developers need access to real
> > traffic data to debug (in the example above) their developed smtp
> > software. Is anyone else missing such functionality? :)
>
> Access to real data is solved with tcpdump or logs, I don't see what
> your load-balancing method will bring here.

tcpdump is not perfect in that case, because it has to run the hole time you want to duplicate the traffic and sent it to server1 and server2.

> > --Maik
>
> Regards,
> Willy

--Maik Received on 2009/05/13 10:40