WARNING: Nasty bug in haproxy 1.3.19

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 23:38:25 +0200

Hi all,

With the very kind help from Cristian Ditoiu, I've just isolated a very nasty bug introduced in 1.3.19 by the fix for the timer drift :

  http://haproxy.1wt.eu/git?p=haproxy-1.3.git;a=commitdiff;h=4de2dea8076782d0685cd1f25edfb961d3a9d40c

If you are running a configuration with some missing timeouts, your haproxy might crash a few minutes after it starts. In fact, it will crash as soon as it find an unexpirable task in the wait queue, that it will dequeue and reuse just as if it was queued.

I'll release 1.3.20 and 1.4-dev2 shortly so that we don't stay too long with this bug. The simple workaround consists in ensuring that you never have an instance running without timeouts (there are some warnings emitted upon startup for this). And anyway you should never do that as you will certainly observe some session leakage over the time.

In the mean time, and specially for distro maintainers (as I have noticed that at least Mandriva and Fedora maintainers have already updated their packages, which is really kind of them), I'm attaching the patch I'm going to merge (it's running fine right now). I suggest you merge it into your own 1.3.19 packages for now.

I have another very minor thing to fix which can wait.

More on all of that with the release, which I hope will be out on Sunday.

Thanks for your patience, and of course, to all the guys who help chase bugs !

Willy