Re: Small patch for the "appsession" feature

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 06:40:52 +0100

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:25:56PM +0100, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
> >And for now, I see 2 modes :
> >- path-parameters (the default)
> >- query-string (the one that made me look at the code :-) )
> >(and if needed "weblogic")
>
> Looks ok for me.
>
> What I'am not sure now is how we can prevent that notsuccessful searches
> on long URLs have negative performance impact?

I think that if it causes some trouble, we can optionally limit the position of the argument in the query-string. But right now I don't think it is much of a problem, because :

  1. we don't check the query string when we find the cookie in the headers (at least I believe :-))
  2. when using the query-string mode, we're sure that almost all requests will have the string.
  3. we're just parsing a long string once per request, there are other processing occuring on headers, cookies, etc... which are at least as expensive and which do not noticeably hurt performance.

So all in all, it's not really a problem in my opinion.