Re: Friendly URLs?

From: XANi <xani666#gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:56:06 +0100

Dnia 2009-12-16, śro o godzinie 00:15 +0100, Willy Tarreau pisze:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 05:47:49PM -0500, Ken Roe wrote:
> > We are trying to make application URLs friendly using rewrite rules.
> > The goal is to eliminate the context path of the web application from
> > the url.
> >

> > Example:
> >
> > The URL http://app.company.com should rewrite to
> > http://backend:8080/app.
>
> This is a very bad idea, and while it may work in the short term,
> you will end up with permanent issues such as erroneously built
> resource paths (images, JS, CSS, ...), bad paths on cookies, bad
> redirection URLs, or the need to explicitly state a full path with
> a host name in each Location header with the need to rewrite it at
> every stage of your architecture, etc... I regularly see setups
> making use of rewrite rules for this same purpose. The only thing
> they can say after a few years of permanent degradation and workarounds
> involving hundreds of unmaintainable rewrite rules is always the same :
> "it's too late now to remove that crap, we have to live with it".
>
> So... better think twice before digging your hole.
>
> > Is there a way to do this using rewrite rules?
>
> This specific one above cannot because you have to take one part
> from the Host header and inject it into the request line. But those
> which only move components within the same line do work (eg: rewriting
> the host or rewriting the URI).

Its possible to do redirect instead of rewrite ? so
http://profilename.page.com gets redirected to http://page/profile/profilename ?
Atm its only reason why we are still using nginx ;]

as for rewrites, what u really want is you app supporting that kind of address, like Willy said, those are only ugly workarounds

--
Mariusz Gronczewski (XANi) <xani666#gmail.com>
GnuPG: 0xEA8ACE64