Re: Friendly URLs?

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 07:52:21 +0100

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 01:56:06PM +0100, XANi wrote:

> > > Is there a way to do this using rewrite rules?
> >
> > This specific one above cannot because you have to take one part
> > from the Host header and inject it into the request line. But those
> > which only move components within the same line do work (eg: rewriting
> > the host or rewriting the URI).
>
> Its possible to do redirect instead of rewrite ?
> so
> http://profilename.page.com gets redirected to
> http://page/profile/profilename ?

If you need to automatically extract "profilename" from the request to build your redirect, then no, it's not possible. But at Exceliance, we're working on a way to extract generic data from a request in order to be able to reuse it elsewhere (ACL, stickiness, hashing). So while I did not thinkg about it, it would then be possible to adapt the redirect code so that it can use such data too.

> Atm its only reason why we are still using nginx ;]

If it's doing that well, you have no reason to replace it. The best tool for each task provides you with the best architecture.