Re: Custom Health Checks, Logging error, & Integrating w/Keepalived

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 06:54:22 +0100

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 01:25:24PM -0800, Paul Hirose wrote: (...)
> Next, I think this is related to what Willy warned about in a previous
> thread about the default syslogd being slow. I fired off a giant
> batch of requests at my haproxy, and there were a lot of error/warning
> msgs on my window about log and no resources or something. Since the
> msgs didn't actually get logged but simply printed on the screen, I
> don't recall what that was.

On many systems, the "emerg" messages are sent on all consoles but are also logged. You can limit the level of syslog messages in haproxy's configuration (last parameter of the "log" statement). For instance, if you put "alert" there, all crit and emerg messages will be sent as "alert".

> incidentally, why is it "dontlognull" and not "dontlog-null" just to
> match the "dontlog-normal" syntax?

Because it was chosen earlier and at that time I found it easy to have short (unreadable) names, which only became an issue once there were many of them. It's the same for "srvtimeout", "option forwardfor", "option httpchk" and such horrible things that people can't always spell.