Hot reconfig briefly stops listening?

From: Lincoln Stoll <lstoll#lstoll.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:35:53 +0200

Hi, I'm testing haproxy 1.3.18 on ubuntu 9.10, and I'm having an issue with hot reconfiguration - it seems to refuse new connections for a very short period of time (around 50ms it seems).

The command I'm using is /usr/sbin/haproxy -f /etc/haproxy/haproxy.cfg -p /var/run/haproxy.pid -sf $(cat /var/run/haproxy.pid) , and the haproxy config can be seen at http://gist.github.com/362959 . I've also tried building 1.4.3 from source, and I'm seeing the same issue there. I'm using ab to generate the load, and the load is both direct and via nginx running as a proxy - it shows up in both places.

Is this expected behaviour, or am I doing something wrong / is something wrong?

Cheers,

        Linc.