Re: Code base case sensitivity

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 21:26:35 +0200

Hello,

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 10:56:25AM +0200, Patrick Mézard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry if this has been mentioned already but haproxy code base contains case
> colliding entries, namely CONTRIB and contrib/. When checkouting current git
> HEAD on a case insensitive system (Windows, OSX with default options), you
> get at best weird behaviours about missing files.
>
> I know this is a linux/unix-based project but given only two entries are
> affected by this issue, it might be easy to fix and suddenly let people with
> case-insensitive filesystems operate on the repository like everybody else,
> and who knows, provide minor documentation fixes.

You're raising a good point I never thought about. This is a valid concern. eventhough nobody has raised that before, I know that someone managed to get it to build and run with mingw (with terrible performance and limitations but it worked).

Also, it's not uncommon for some people to use FAT to store files due to the USB memory sticks we all have in our pockets. It's sure that if someone were to untar the sources on the USB stick itself it would fail due to the conflict above.

I think I'll simply move the file's contents to the README file. Also, some part of the file is clearly outdated, it'll be a good opportunity to refresh it.

Thanks for reporting the issue,
Willy Received on 2010/05/09 21:26