Re: Testing HAproxy

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 22:21:56 +0200

Hi Anthony,

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 07:27:49PM +0000, Porcano, Anthony wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Anthony Porcano, and I work for 24/7 Real Media. We are evaluating HAproxy for a new application, and I wanted to inquire about any services you provide to customers taking on large installs. The volume we need to support is approximately 100k requests per second, or roughly 8 billion requests per day. In our testing thus far we have been able to achieve approximately 38k connections per second on a single system. If you do provide any professional services around HAproxy I would like to introduce you to some of our people and work on getting you involved.

38k connections per second on a single system is already quite a good score, it's in the range of what I get in my home lab on a Core2Duo at 2.66 GHz with a tuned kernel. From my observations, at those ranges, eventhough you might notice a 85/15 share for system/ user CPU usage, there's generally not much more to gain by tuning the system any further because packet processing alone is costing a lot (which you can verify by starting iptables and adding only one rule).

There are some possible optimizations in haproxy that you can use to save a few packets on each side, or to save a few memory copies if needed, depending on the context.

I'd be particularly interested in exchanging with your people on the subject as I always am when users push haproxy to extreme loads, but as I stated it, I'm not hoping for a much higher result on a single system. If we succeed, that's fine of course ;-)

Cheers,
Willy Received on 2010/07/08 22:21