Re: stunnel +haproxy quirk

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 07:41:56 +0200

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 02:10:45AM +0200, haproxy#serverphorums.com wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for all of the work on haproxy, it's been very fun to play with.
>
> If I leave the ssl processing to the back end webservers and simply use haproxy to distribute the load there is no way to make sure that client A's sessions are consistently sent to webserver A on the back end is there?

No, you can't. But quite honnestly, you should really take a look at what happens in the application. It is possible that you have the ability to set the base URL in the config.

> Maybe I could load balance based on the originating IP?

There are some mixed results on this. One of my customers observes about 5% of their clients coming from variable IPs (mainly cache farms in enterprise networks). Others observe less. Also, I suspect that with the increase of smartphones on the net, changing IPs within a session will raise again, which is not a problem anymore since almost everyone does stickiness on layer 7 now. This will then force broken sites to be fixed, thus allowing more sites to relax their outgoing rules, and finally increasing the ratio of variable IPs too.

If I were you, I would really try to fix the app's config.