Re: Performance on an Atom D510 Dual Core 1.66GHz

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:27:42 +0200

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:23:59AM +0800, Unai Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am thinking of setting an HAProxy on Atom D510 Dual Core 1.66GHz. Am
> I supposed to face performance issues? Anyone got experience with
> HAProxy running on similar hardware? Would it be possible to share
> some approximate numbers on what that hardware would be able to
> handle?

OK so here are a few results of haproxy 1.4.8 running on Atom D510 (64-bit) without keep-alive :

6400 hits/s on 0-bytes objets
6200 hits/s on 1kB objects (86 Mbps)
5700 hits/s on 2kB objects (130 Mbps)
5250 hits/s on 4kB objects (208 Mbps)
3300 hits/s on 8kB objects (250 Mbps)
2000 hits/s on 16kB objects (300 Mbps)
1300 hits/s on 32kB objects (365 Mbps)
800 hits/s on 64kB objects (450 Mbps)
480 hits/s on 128kB objects (535 Mbps)

250 hits/s on 256kB objects (575 Mbps)
135 hits/s on 512kB objects (610 Mbps)

This requires binding the NIC's interrupt on one core and binding haproxy to the other core. That way, it leaves about 20% total idle on the NIC's core. Otherwise, the system tends to put haproxy on the same core as the NIC and the results are approximately half of that.

Quick tests with keep-alive enabled report 7400 hits/s instead of 6400 for the empty file test, and 600 instead of 5250 for the 4kB file, thus minor savings.

In fact it makes a quite nice cheap fanless load balancer :-)