Re: Performance tuning considerations.

From: Krzysztof Olędzki <ole#ans.pl>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 17:01:36 +0200

Hi Timh,

On 2010-09-03 09:56, Timh Bergström wrote:

<CUT>

> so, while Im at it; is there any specific hardware I should look for
> when building the HAProxy-machines? Currently Im looking at dual
> quad-core xeon's (56xx) with high frequency, the fastest memory I can
> find, fast system disks (SAS 15k) and Broadcom 10GbE nic's for
> traffic. I will probably run Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS (64-bit), I'll
> compile the latest stable HAProxy 1.4x series and maybe look at
> compiling a new kernel from the 2.6.35 tree (network optimization for
> multicore cpu's,
> see:http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Linux-2635-and-early-days-of-Linux/
> and http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges).

With a properly choosed hardware RPS introduced in 2.6.35 is very often not needed.

Serveral decent NICS like Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709 (bnx2 - 1G) or Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57710/BCM57711 (bnx2x - 10G) support MSI-X with many vectors and flow based hardware packed scheduling, so are able to take advantage of more CPUs. Please note however that not all NICs driven by the bnx2 driver are able to do it, for example BCM5708 supports only single interrupt. RPS is also useful if you have more CPUs than you NIC is able to support natively.

Also, please make sure that if you are using bondig or vlan, your kernel is recent enough to propagate multiqueue over these additional layers.

Best regards,

                        Krzysztof OlÄ™dzki Received on 2010/09/03 17:01