Consistent hashing question

From: Dmitri Smirnov <dsmirnov#netflix.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 13:40:11 -0700

Hi all,

While doing consistent hashing I observed ( as expected) that the order of backend servers in the configuratio affects the distribution of the load.

Being in the cloud, I am forced to regenerate the configuration file and restart because both the public host name and their addresses change most of the time as instances are replaced. To keep the distribution consistent I sort the list of servers by host name.

However, I am not sure if this is exactly right thing to do.

Question, what exactly is inserted into the consistent hashing tree:

  1. name of the server that I specify
  2. host name
  3. resolved ten dot address.

I am not looking at the source code now in hopes that the community will provide more insight faster,

thank you,

--
Dmitri Smirnov