Re: Interest in patch for web interface to enable/disable servers

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 23:37:47 +0200

Hi Cyril,

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 11:18:21PM +0200, Cyril Bonté wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le mardi 5 octobre 2010 17:01:24, Willy Tarreau a écrit :
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > sorry for the delay, I missed that thread. I'm currently collecting
> > missing patches for next 1.4.
>
> That gave me time to apply the patches on a 1.5 snapshot and test it in a
> small production environment. It works well without any modifications.

Thanks for the feedback, this will mean less worries for the porting work.

(...)
> > So I'd like to get your opinion on that. I'm not for adding features when
> > people don't need them, but if there is demand, we can have them.
>
> I'm currently giving training sessions for my colleagues and from their
> feedbacks, such a feature would be very appreciated, as it will let them
> control the servers similarly to what they use to do with mod_proxy_balancer
> and mod_jk.

I have no doubt people will want it, I was wondering if they'd possibly wait for 1.5 or want it in 1.4 in fact.

> For our needs, we can wait for the 1.5 but I'm not against having it directly
> in 1.4, and I guess that Judd will likely appreciate to have it in 1.4 too ;-)

Yes, for sure. I'll let Judd decide then. Both of you have done a great work on this, it's the least I can do to let you have it in 1.4 if you think you need it.

> I just don't want to provide a patch that break things in the stable branch
> :-)

I know ;-)

> Do you plan to release version 1.4.9 soon ? I ask that because I've not
> started to write the documentation for "stats admin", then in the case it will
> be merged in 1.4, I'll try to work on it this week-end.

I've been spending some time these last days chasing the fixes from 1.4 to port them into 1.5 and conversely, in order to ensure that nothing gets lost. I spent about 2-3 days fixing and documenting the ECV patch that I've merged into 1.4 too, because I know that many people already patch their code with the buggy version and sometimes report issues. I've backported the cookie parser fixes from 1.5 (eg: support spaces around cookies). I still have some work to finish on the cookies (support for expirable persistence cookies) that some people have requested for 1.4 (even 1.3 in fact, we'll see). I'd like to hope that I can finish it by the week-end, but I can't be sure. However, the work on cookies is the last thing I have pending, so once that's done we can release fast. Maybe I'll emit an 1.4.9-rc1 first, in order to spot possible build issues that I have not detected.

Cheers,
Willy Received on 2010/10/06 23:37