Marking servers disabled-by-default (until checks return)

From: Charles Duffy <charles#dyfis.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 17:14:09 +0000 (UTC)

Howdy!

I'm using HAProxy in TCP mode to redirect traffic to my database servers, with a HTTP check to filter for servers appropriate to each pool -- a master pool (of only one server, the identity of which may change on failover events), a pool for slaves not more than 30 seconds out of date, a pool for servers not more than 10 minutes out of date, etc.

The problem I have here is that on startup or restart, all servers are briefly considered eligible candidates for the master pool until the layer 7 checks come back. This is not acceptable for my use case -- I need to be able to flag all servers expected to be slaves as down-by- default in this backend (or have all checks assumed to be "down" until determined otherwise, such that traffic goes to the backup pool).

Does HAProxy currently have an appropriate mechanism for this?

Thanks! Received on 2011/03/24 18:14