Re: error with ipv6 backend www server

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:16:19 +0200

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:23:39AM +0200, Brane F. Gra??nar wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 of June 2011 09:12:00 Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > The server address syntax is :

> > So you should have a colon and not a space before '80' :
> >
> > 3ffe:ffff:21da:7:3c06:7c4c:8215:2:80
> >
> > Note that the syntax is non-ambiguous because the last colon is mandatory
> > before the port, so anything which is before the last colon is the address
>

> Willy, i have a suggestion; what if server declaration would be changed to:
>
> server [<ip_address>]:<port>
> server [host.example.com]:port
>
> That would be new, "preferred" format, while "old" one would be supported, but
> deprecated.
>
> I think it would be trivial to implement and configuration would be much more
> readable.
>
> The same with logs.
>
> What do you think?

We could support both. There is no reason to have a different address format in servers and not on bind, source or dispatch lines. But on the other hand, I'd hate to have to use "[::]:80" on a bind line. The persons who proposed the use of the colon as the IPv6 address delimitor really did a mess, we don't need to make it even worse by making it mandatory to add brackets.