Re: 5000 CPS for haproxy

From: carlo flores <carlo#petalphile.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 00:08:03 -0700

To add to this is a great automated tool and ideas from The Chicago Tribune called Bees With Machine Guns, which spins up n AWS micro instances to push traffic to the target server.

https://github.com/newsapps/beeswithmachineguns

My CTO makes the argument that connections/s or sessions/s don't mean much unless those sessions are testing realistic user traffic (which tests the application/database/etc). This is not the methodology you're using to test HAProxy, of course, but it is something I think about enough that I feel obligated to type about it. If you care, we do this with Ruby's Net:HTTP libraries making specific calls on existing sessions to our RESTful servers, and those calls are built on random but real user data.