Re: Stress test

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 08:32:16 +0200

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 03:13:11PM +1000, Dwyer, Simon wrote:
> Cheers,
>
> I will have a look at ab. I more just want to make sure it doesnt crash and burn while its in test. doing more of a proof of concept atm :)

BTW, you must use different machines for the client, the LB and the server in your tests. Otherwise you'll see very strange patterns because all of them will fight for CPU and your numbers may vary *a lot*.

I'd suggest looking at httperf, though it's harder to use than ab. There is the old "inject" on my web page which has the advantage of reporting measurements in realtime instead of running a blind tests and giving you numbers at the end without letting you know if the load was regular or not. It does no keep-alive and doesn't scale well in concurrent connections however.

On the server side, you should probably use something like nginx, which will be much faster than apache. Apache generally is the bottleneck when used in a benchmark platform.