Re: How about server side keep-alive in v1.5?

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 08:09:54 +0200

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 02:41:57PM +0200, Baptiste wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 4:50 AM, wsq003 <wsq003#sina.com> wrote:
> > Hi Willy,
> >
> > In the mainpage I saw below: "1.5 will bring keep-alive to the server, but
> > it will probably make sense only with static servers."
> >
> > While in the change-log or source code I did not find this feature
> > (server side keep-alive).
> >
> > Am I missing something, or server side keep-alive still on going?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> Sorry for answering on behalf of Willy,
> (Willy, just correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> HTTP Keepalive has not been developed yet on the server side.
> Actually, this is one of the reason why the 1.5 release of HAProxy is
> still under development.

In fact there was some progress. I have some experimental code which is able to follow a series of requests over a same connection but which does not yet know how to change to another server and does not know how to retry upon server aborts.

> Concerning the delay, only Willy will be able to answer.

That's my biggest concern ! This work has been delayed over one year now because of other work, I would really like to get it done once for all.