balance round-robin/sticky on Host: header

From: Jeff Simpson <jsimpson#ziaconsulting.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:52:13 -0600

I tried sending this earlier, so I apologize if it's a duplicate, but I never saw it post to the list...

I'm trying to come up with a configuration for HAProxy to balance by the 'Host' header in a generic fashion (i.e. one that does not require me to hard code host header values to backends). We're using wildcard DNS and basically have clients registered to their own host/domain: e.g. - client1.mydomain.com, client2.mydomain.com, etc.

All requests for a particular host would stick to the same server. I think it's pretty similar to the URI hashing scheme. If I understand that scheme requests are balanced round-robin, but stick to backends based on a hash of the uri.

Any ideas? BTW, I'm using HAProxy-1.3.14.1 on Gentoo Linux.

Thanks,
-Jeff Received on 2008/04/16 16:52