Re: Need to update README.

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 21:10:17 +0200

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 10:40:24AM -0700, Dan Zubey wrote:
> We may be talking about two different types of documentation.
>
> I think we all realize that a community-edited wiki that provides hints
> and kinks would help everyone involved, and probably lessen the time to
> initially set up HAProxy for the new user.
>
> There is also the official documentation that Willy creates for us and
> his commercial customers. That really is authoritative, but
> -understandably- the official docs suffer when Willy needs to spend time
> coding, and vice versa.
>
> I think we can readily implement the first type of documentation, the
> question is can we migrate what Willy is doing to a wiki-type environment.
>
> Anyways, what about making a wiki for user's hints and kinks on setup,
> and just converting Willy's doc every so often (monthly, quarterly,
> etc). That way Willy's workflow doesn't get interrupted. Having the
> official docs be immutable makes the process one-way, so Willy doesn't
> have to merge changes back in.

But that must not prevent people from posting patches to update the official one :-)

> Thoughts?

That looks like a plan. I know that a wiki may be a powerful tool, just like the ML has been. I just don't know how to start and rely on you all for this.

So I'm really encouraging you to experiment, and I just want to be sure that you don't get frustrated when you see that I have trouble following this workflow I'm not used to, or that I don't understand some things, or even loudly emit hurting opinions :-)

What you're proposing is to help *users*, and that's already a lot. The more users, the more testers and crontributors, the more fixes and features, and the best the product at the end.

So yes, please do, and tell me when you want back links from the site.