Re: stats socket problem

From: Willy Tarreau <w#1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:38:15 +0100

Hi Martin,

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:13:35PM +0100, Martin Karbon wrote:
> Hi
> I am relatively new to this great software and I am having problems
> with the feature stats socket. it won't write the haproxy.stat file no
> matter what. so I cannot run the "socat".
> root#lb1:~# echo "show stat" | socat unix-connect:/var/run/haproxy.stat
> stdio
> 2009/01/21 12:12:54 socat[4887] E connect(3, AF=1
> "/var/run/haproxy.stat", 23): No such file or directory
> I wanted to try to write some script that checks the connection
> distribution every n seconds (i.e.for a monitoring tool)... any advice
> for this?

I see nothing wrong in your config. It's so simple! Could you check a few things, such as if something already exists in /var/run, if you see a symbolic link or anything like this which might explain such a strange behaviour.

Also, it would be nice if you could start haproxy under strace :

# strace -o /tmp/haproxy-start.log haproxy -db -f /etc/haproxy.cfg

Then press Ctrl-C after a few seconds, and look for "haproxy.stat" in the output file (or post the result here). I think we'll find the reason there. There must be an error somewhere, or there is something disabling the stats but I don't see what can do that.