Re: Preventing bots from starving other users?

From: Wout Mertens <wout.mertens#gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:30:49 +0100

Hi John,

On Nov 15, 2009, at 8:29 PM, John Lauro wrote:

> I would probably do that sort of throttling at the OS level with iptables,
> etc...

Hmmm.... How? I don't want to throw away the requests, just queue them. Looking for iptables rate limiting it seems that you can only drop the request.

Then again:

> That said, before that I would investigate why the wiki is so slow...
> Something probably isn't configured right if it chokes with only a few
> simultaneous accesses. I mean, unless it's embedded server with under 32MB
> of RAM, the hardware should be able to handle that...

Yeah, it's running pretty old software on a pretty old server. It should be upgraded but that is a fair bit of work; I was hoping that a bit of configuration could make the situation fair again...

Thanks,

Wout. Received on 2009/11/16 13:30